Toms River Township

Area|History|Video Tour|Listings|Aerial View|Town Hall

Toms River NJ Area

39.994314°N 74.166214°W

Toms River Township, NJ is located in the northern portion of Ocean County, NJ and serves as the county seat.Toms River Township , NJ covers 52.88 square miles, 40.488 of which is land.

The mainland of Toms River Township is flanked by Brick and Lakewood to the north. Manchester is to the west. Berkeley and South Toms River are to the south.

Toms River Township also includes the Dover Beaches North and Dover Beaches South areas on Island Beach and Pelican Island . The Dover Beach areas are flanked by the backbay to the west and the majestic Atlantic Ocean to the east.

The Dover beaches North area (39°59′29″N 74°03′55″W) covers 1.6 square miles, 1.0 of which is land. The area includes the part of Normandy Beach south of 6th Avenue, Normandy Shores, Ocean Beaches 1,2 and 3, Chadwick Beach, Chadwick Island, Seacrest Beach, Monterey Beach and Silver Beach. It is bordered by Lavallette Borough to the south and the south Mantoloking portion of Brick Township to the north.

The Dover Beaches South area (39°57′16″N 74°4′32″W) covers 1.1 square miles of which .6 is land. This area is more commonly known as Ortley Beach. It is bordered by Lavallette Borough to the north and Seaside Heights Borough to the south.

Pelican Island (39°56′35″N 74°05′18″W) is located in the Barnegat Bay at the foot of the eastern potion of the bay bridge. The northwest portion of Pelican Island is part of Toms River Township. The southeast portion of Pelican Island is part of Berkeley Township.

Toms River is known for its colonial History, Ocean County College and, and the Ocean County Mall. It also features the Toms River Seaport Society & Maritime Museum. The museum has wooden boats on display,a restoration shop and artifacts of the Barnegat Bay area including a reference library and Ship Store.

Toms River NJ History

Toms River was originally known as Goose Creek. It is widely believed that the Toms River is named after farmer and ferryman Thomas Luker. Luker, operated ferry across Goose Creek (now the Toms River) at the location of the present day main street bridge. The name originally had an apostrophe as Tom’s River.

In the early years Toms River was a hub for shipbuilding, whaling, fishing, iron and lumber production.

The area was once called Shrewsbury Township and part of Monmouth County. A portion of Shrewsbury Township was detached to form the incorporated Dover township in 1768.The new township covered 441 square miles. The borders of the new township were the southern part of the present day Monmouth County Line to its north, the present day Oyster Creek in Lacey Township to its south, the present day Burlington County line to its west, and the Atlantic Ocean to its east.

Dover Township was first chartered by Acto of Colonial Legislature in 1767 and was incorporated in 1798. Portions of Dover Township were detached to form Jackson Township in 1844, Union Township (now Barnegat Township) in 1846,

In 1850 Dover Township was detached form Monmouth County to become the seat of the newly formed Ocean County, NJ. That same year a portion of Dover Township was detached to form Brick Township.

Manchester Township in 1865, Berkeley Township in 1875, Island Heights Borough in 1887, Lavallette in 1887, and Seaside heights in 1913 were also detached from Dover Township .

In 2006 Dover Township changed its name to Toms River Township.

Toms River Property Taxes

Property Tax Rates in many Ocean County municipalities are among the lowest in New Jersey. Find more about the General Tax Rate, Effective Tax Rate, and current Toms River Property Tax rates Here.

toms river twpTown Hall at Toms River Township

33 Washington Street, P.O. Box 728
Toms River, N.J. 08753
Phone: (732) 341-1000
TDD: (732) 240-1313 Fax: (732) 341-3586
Police: (732) 349-0150
Website: http://www.tomsrivertownship.com