Seaside Park Borough

Area|History|Video Tour|Listings|Aerial View|Town Hall

Seaside Park NJ Area

39°55′38″N 74°4′39″W

Seaside Park Borough is located on southern end of Island Beach, in Ocean County, NJ. It is nestled between the Seaside Heights to the north and the South Seaside Park section of Berkeley Township to the south. The west side of Seaside Park is flanked by the expansive Back Bay. The east side of Seaside Park provides beachfront to the majestic Atlantic Ocean.

The southern boundary has always been 14th Avenue. However, until 1900 the Northern boundary was North Avenue. An area known as the “Berkeley Tract” ran from North Avenue north to Porter Avenue. The Berkeley Tract was annexed to Sea Side Park in 1900, extending the area 20 blocks to the north.

Seaside Park, NJ covers .77 square miles, .7 6 of which is land.

Seaside Park is known for its Municipal Green located in front of the Municipal Building. The green hosts outdoor concerts and events. The area is also known for its first class strolling Boardwalk along the Ocean and 2 modern piers extending far into the Barnegat Bay.

Seaside Park NJ History

In 1874 the first permanent settlers called to the area. The settlers wanted to establish a tree-lined park so they named the area “Park City”. The tree lined park never came to be as transplanted trees from the mainland did not thrive in the sand.

In 1875 they called the area “Sea Side Park” (3 words) which was a section of Dover Township (now Toms River Township).

In 1875 the area became a section of Berkeley Township.
Seaside Park succeeded from Berkley Township became an independent borough in 1898.

In 1881 the Pennsylvania Railroad entered Sea Side Park at 14th avenue and established a station at the Hiawatha Hotel. In 1882 the Train Station was relocated to a new building between 5th and 6th Avenues. The area featured a Church in 1889, and a Schoolhouse in 1902. The Schoolhouse was renovated and made larger in 1917.

During the early 1900’s commercial fishing was the main industry. Net systems called “Fish Pounds” trapped fish swimming along the shallow ocean waters of the Seaside Park section. The catch of the day was hauled up by a 33 foot long wooden boat known as a “pound boat”. The fish were brought to the shore, unloaded into barrels and shipped via rail to Fulton Fish Market in New York and Markets in Philadelphia.

In 1914 the Municipal Clerk recorded three word name of “Sea Side Park” as “Seaside Park” and the name stuck.

A new schoolhouse was built-in 1927. Grand Hotels were built along the ocean front during the Park’s gilded age, and drew scores of people to the shore.

The area population grew, from 653 in 1940 to 987 in 1950. A room in the original schoolhouse was used as a classroom when the new schoolhouse became crowded.

In 1946, a fire partially destroyed the railroad bridge linking Seaside Park with Ocean Gate, ending rail service to and from Philadelphia.  The tracks were removed in 1949.

In 1953, the a new Municipal Building was constructed at the former site of the railroad station between 5th and 6th Avenues. North of the building is and expansive green that serves as a hub for town activities.

Seaside Park Property Taxes

Property Tax Rates in many Ocean County municipalities are among the lowest in New Jersey. Find more about the General Tax Rate, Effective Tax Rate, and current Seaside Park Property Tax rates Here.

seaside parkTown Hall at Seaside Park Borough

1701 North Ocean Ave., P.O. Box B
Seaside Park, N.J. 08752
Phone: (732) 793-3700 Fax: (732) 793-3737
Police: (732) 793-8000
Website: www.seasideparknj.org

 

Image Credit(s):  NJ.com