Point Pleasant Beach Borough

Area|History|Video Tour|Listings|Aerial View|Town Hall

Point Pleasant Beach, NJ Area

40°5′30″N 74°2′42″W

Point Pleasant Beach, NJ is located on northern end of Island Beach in Ocean County, NJ. Two bridges connect Point Pleasant beach to the mainland:

  1. Route 35 Bridge crossing the Manasquan River
  2. Route 88 Bridge crossing the Point Pleasant Canal

Point Pleasant Beach, NJ covers 1.72 square miles, 1.44 of which is land

The north side is flanked by the Manasquan Inlet and the Manasquan River. Bay Head is to the south. Point Pleasant Borough is an independent area that lies to the southwest of Point Pleasant Beach, NJ. The east side provides beachfront to the majestic Atlantic Ocean.

The Borough is known for its mile long family friendly boardwalk has many rides and arcades for children. There Point Pleasant Boardwalk is most recognized for its the Aquarius with everything from alligators to sharks, penguins to seals and even a touch tank.

Casual dining can be found at Martell’s Tiki Bar on the Boardwalk (with premium beachside seating) and Jenkinson’s Pavilion (expansive ocean views).

The area is also well-known for its world-class fishing and charter boats.

Point Pleasant Beach NJ History

The area was located in Monmouth County until it was detached to join the newly formed Ocean County, NJ in 1850.

Thomas Cook, Jr. opened up his farmhouse to borders in the early 19th century. In the 1870’s John Arnold built Arnold Avenue leading east towards the ocean. Arnold helped to construct the first bridge crossing the Manasquan River from Point Pleasant Beach northward in 1875.

By 1880 the Central Railroad extended into the area encouraged by John Arnold giving them the right-to-way and almost $6,000 to do so. In 1877, the Point Pleasant Land Company owned a, 250 acre tract on what is now Route 35 South, and started selling lots. The Company built a grand 200 guest resort House was built-in 1878 to attract prospective buyers and tourists. Other hotels such as the Leighton, The Beacon, Zimmermans followed.

The first beachfront pavilion was constructed in 1880 on Atlantic Avenue. A portion of Brick Township was detached to form Point Pleasant Beach, NJ in 1886.

In 1890 the first attempt at creating an ocean boardwalk was made, but it was not until 1915 that a permanent boardwalk was completed between Central and Philadelphia Avenue. In the 1920’s Charles Jenkinson constructed the Jeankinson’s Pool and Pavilion at the southern portion of the oceanfront.

Point Pleasant Beach Property Taxes

Property Tax Rates in many Ocean County municipalities are among the lowest in New Jersey. Find more about the General Tax Rate, Effective Tax Rate, and current Point Pleasant Beach Property Tax rates Here.

Point Pleasant BeachTown Hall at Point Pleasant Beach

416 New Jersey Avenue
Point Pleasant Beach, N.J. 08742
Phone: (732) 892-1118 Fax: (732) 892-1270
Police: (732) 892-0500
Website: http://www.pointpleasantbeach.org