Plumsted Township (New Egypt)

Area|History|Video Tour|Listings|Aerial View|Town Hall

Plumsted / New Egypt, NJ Area

40°4′35″N 74°30′1″W

Plumsted NJ is located on western part of Ocean County, NJ. Plumsted, NJ covers 40.2 square miles, 40 of which is land.

Upper Freehold Township is to the north. The west side of Plumsted is flanked by the Burlingting County areas of North Hanover, New Hanover, and Permberton. Manchester is to the south. Jackson and Lakehurst Naval Air Station are to the east.

Pumsted is known for its  commitment to the Farmland Preservation Program aimed at preserving Plumsted’s rural character. The area is also known for the Fort Dix Military Reservation located in the southern half of the Township.

Plumsted / New Egypt NJ History

In 1699 Englishman, Clement Plumsted was granted 2,700 acres in the area now called New Egypt. The area was called “Plumstead” on a 1781 map of Monmouth County prepared by John Hill.

At the time the area was part of Jackson Township then of Monmouth County.

A Portion of Jackson was detached to form New Egypt Plumsted Township, NJ in 1845. The area was part of Monmouth County until the area it became part of the newly formed Ocean County in 1850.

Some of New Egypt’s early settlements were Newport and Snuff Mill. The area was briefly called Okford in 1869.

Plumsted / New Egypt Property Taxes

Property Tax Rates in many Ocean County municipalities are among the lowest in New Jersey. Find more about the General Tax Rate, Effective Tax Rate, and current Plumsted / New Egypt Property Tax rates Here.

Historic New Egypt NJTown Hall at Plumsted Township

121 Evergreen Road New Egypt, N.J. 08533
Phone: (609) 758-2241 Fax: (609) 758-0123
Police: (609) 758-3738 or (609) 758-7185 (Ocean County Dispatch)
Website: http://www.plumsted.org