Island Heights Borough

Area|History|Video Tour|Listings|Aerial View|Town Hall

Island Heights NJ Area

39°56′32″N 74°08′57″W

Island Heights is located on the north shore of the Toms River in Ocean County, NJ. It is fronted by Toms River Township to its north and west.

Island Heights covers .9 square miles, of which is .6 is land. The south and east side of Island Heights is flanked by the Toms River adjacent to the expansive Backbay.

Island Heights is known for the magnificent Victorian style homes and boardwalk along the north shore of the Toms River. The area is also known for the “Sailfest” festival that it has held since 1991.

Island Heights NJ History

Island Heights was originally known as Doctor Johnson’s Island in the late 1600’s. In the 1700’s it was known as James Dillons Island. In 1797 John Imlay sold the island to Issac Gulick. In 1797 Gulick sold it to Brothers George and Abraham Parker. The Parker Brothers sold it to Abel Middleton in 1799.

In 1880 the “Island House ” was first hotel was built at Central Avenue and Riverfront. In 1883 the Pennsylvania Railroad entered Island Heights, NJ.

Portions of Dover Township (now Toms River Township) were detached to form Island Heights Borough in 1887.
The Island Heights Yacht Club was formed in 1898. Wanamaker Hall was built-in 1904 by John Wanamaker as a summer camp for his department store employees.

The area is named Island Heights because it was originally an island is mostly situated on a high bluff overlooking the river.

Island Heights Property Taxes

Property Tax Rates in many Ocean County municipalities are among the lowest in New Jersey. Find more about the General Tax Rate, Effective Tax Rate, and current Island Heights Property Tax rates Here.

Center Of TownBorough Town hall

East End & Van Sant Avenues, P.O. Box 797
Island Heights, N.J. 08732
Phone: (732) 270-6415 Fax: (732) 270-8586
Police: (732) 270-3006
Website: www.islandheightsboro.com
E-Mail: boroclerk#1@comcast.net